Preparing for your Dry Feb
You’re doing something amazing – improving your own health, and helping to change the lives of people touched by cancer. We're with you every step of the way for your Dry Feb, so don't be daunted by a dry month.
Plus, remember that every dollar you raise will help the Canadian Cancer Society fund groundbreaking research and provide a support system for people affected by cancer – like their free Cancer Information Service, which helps people across the country answer questions on all types of cancer, treatments, side effects and much more!
Here are our top tips to help you prepare and stay dry this February:
- In January try to slow down your alcohol intake to half of what you would normally consume.
- Plan your social calendar. Offer to be the Designated Dryver on a night out, or if you have an event that you really want to drink at, ask someone to buy you a Golden Ticket. It will give you a night off the wagon, while also raising more funds for a great cause!
- Plan your drink substitutions. There are mocktails, ginger ale, soda water and lime, non-alcoholic beers and wines, herbal tea…
- Plan your meals and your shopping list so there are no surprises during the week.
- Remove all temptation from your house. Ask a friend or family member to keep/store your alcohol for you during February.
- Prepare your mind as well as your body for abstaining from alcohol during February.
- Hang out with other participants; create a Dry Feb team with friends and family
- Keep yourself busy – make the most of your hangover-free weekends! Try something new or go on an adventure.
- Fundraise! What better motivation to stay dry than knowing your raising vital funds for the Canadian Cancer Society?
- Use our Dry Feb checklist to countdown the month and see how much you've achieved.
- Get active. Why not pair your dry month with a new exercise routine? Staying off alcohol can have the benefit of weight loss if you increase your physical activity.
- Remember why you started! Whatever your motivation was for signing up, remind yourself of it throughout the month to help stay strong!
Thirsty for more?
- Check out our top tips on cutting down the amount of alcohol you drink
- Read about the health benefits of a Dry Feb
Dry Feb is a fundraising campaign aimed at challenging social drinkers to change their habits for a month and make some healthy lifestyle changes. We encourage people to drink responsibly and stick to the recommended daily guidelines for the rest of the year. We advise heavy drinkers or people dependent on alcohol to speak with their doctor before signing up to Dry Feb.